Advice for Dental Emergencies
While a cracked, broken, or knocked-out tooth can be repaired or replaced, the situation that causes it may be considered a dental emergency, and it should be addressed as soon as possible. After calling our office and scheduling an emergency dental visit, you should take steps to minimize the damage to your oral health and make restoring your smile easier:
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly with warm water, especially around the tooth in question, then carefully inspect your tooth.
- If the tooth is cracked or broken, then take care not to apply pressure to it until you reach our office.
- If the tooth is broken, then collect the dislodged piece(s), if possible, rinse them carefully, and bring them with you to your appointment.
- If the tooth is knocked out (avulsed), then collect the tooth, if possible, and rinse it carefully under warm water. Grab the tooth by its crown, and take care not to handle the fragile ligaments around the root.
- Try to place the tooth back into its socket. If it fits, hold it in place with gentle bite pressure until you can reach our office.
- If the tooth doesn’t fit in its socket, then place the tooth in a small container of milk to preserve its structure until your emergency dental appointment.
- If bleeding occurs, then you can staunch it by biting down softly on a clean, moist piece of gauze until the bleeding stops.
- If swelling is evident, then place an ice pack or cold compress to the cheek until the swelling goes down.
Call Us if You Have an Emergency!
If you experience a dental emergency, then don’t hesitate to contact us! Schedule an emergency visit by calling Commerce Family Dental at (903) 886-3081. Located in Commerce, TX, we also serve the residents of Van Alstyne, Celina, Prosper, Gunter, Frisco, McKinney, and all surrounding communities.